NBSV 014: 25 questions from listeners on all things vegan fitness & nutrition
I’m doing something a little different today, and answering 25 questions from listeners, rapid-fire style. We’ve got incredibly wide-ranging questions about veganism, health, fitness, and nutrition.
I listed out the questions and didn’t do any prep, so you get whatever pops into my brain. (Definitely a new thing for me!)
I discuss foam rolling, supplements for vegan strength training, organic foods, coffee, cooked versus raw foods, keto, vegan party recipes, travelling as a vegan, weight loss, and accordions…
Note: I accidentally labelled 2 questions as "question #20", so the episode contains 26 questions, not 25. Free bonus!
Links, further reading, and resources mentioned in the episode:
>> Foam rolling:
- Tony Gentilcore's article on foam rolling
- Foam Rolling as a Recovery Tool after an Intense Bout of Physical Activity. Macdonald et al., 2013.
- Effect of Foam Rolling and Static Stretching on Passive Hip-Flexion Range of Motion. Mohr, Long, & Goad, 2014.
- The Effects of Myofascial Release With Foam Rolling on Performance. Healey et al., 2014.
- Foam Rolling for Delayed-Onset Muscle Soreness and Recovery of Dynamic Performance Measures. Pearsey et al., 2015.
>> Organic and GMO foods
- Is Organic Food Worse For You? by AsapSCIENCE.
>> Stalled weight loss
- Free vegan calories and macros e-book
- The calorie calculator I use with my clients
>> Pre- and post-workout supplements
- Bananas versus sports drinks? Bananas win in study
- Here's the study: Bananas as an Energy Source during Exercise: A Metabolomics Approach. Nieman et al., 2012.
>> Calorie deficits and total protein:
- Episodes 4 and 5 with Dr. Anastasia Zinchenko
>> Tips for a beginner athlete and beginner vegan
- Free 350-item vegan grocery list
- Examine.com article on beta-alanine
- Episode 1 of the No-Bullshit Vegan podcast with research resources
>> Cooked versus raw veggies
- 5 veggies that are healthier cooked than raw
- Raw or cooked: which vegetables are healthier?
- Fact or fiction: raw veggies are healthier than cooked ones
- 3 things you should know about muscle gain. Includes section on leucine. (By Anastasia Zinchenko)
- The complete 'incomplete' protein story, by Anastasia Zinchenko
>> Protein quality
- Debunking nutrition myths for the vegan strength athlete, by Melody Schoenfeld
- Episode 9 of the No-Bullshit Vegan podcast with the Plant-Powered Dietician, Sharon Palmer
>> Vegan recipes for parties: How to create an awe-inspiring 5-item vegan dessert bar
>> Keto diet
- Is low-carb really the best weight loss diet?
- Low-fat vs low-carb? Major study concludes: it doesn't matter for weight loss.
>> Being vegan while travelling
- Vegan foods to pack for a vacation
Connect with your host, Karina Inkster:
>> Come hang out with me on Facebook (personal page and business page)
>> Follow me on Instagram
Download Karina's 350-item vegan grocery list!
Need inspiration for healthy plant-based eating? Need to spice up your daily meal routine? Download your free vegan grocery list! With more than 350 healthy items (some of which might be new to you), you'll be a vegan nutrition superhero in no time.
To share your thoughts:
Comment on the episode's Facebook post.
To support the show: Leave an honest review on iTunes. Your reviews really help, and I read each one!
Subscribe to the show: iTunes, Stitcher, Spotify, or Google Podcasts.